Monday 6 February 2012

Hangeul it!

여러분 안녕하세요!

Being a fan of Korean dramas, variety shows and music, I've found it helps so much to be able to read Hangeul.

If you're still romanizing, can I convince you to... Hangeul It!
Who needs romanization when you can read Hangeul? Why go through the unneccessary process of learning romanization and what letters represents what sounds when you can just dive into Hangeul and learn to do the same right away?
And this is just talking about recognizing Hangeul, not even the understanding part yet. That naturally takes years to reach some level of proficiency, but if you're a fan like me, you'll enjoy spending those years on the language together with the shows and music, and they're going to help each other. And it all starts with - 한글.

그래서(So), the first step to it all is to dive right into it! I started my entire Hangeul reading journey from here:


Highly simple looking website, and perhaps that's even why I chose to start there lol.
I'll put up more online Korean learning resources in another post.

It takes maybe 30 min to memorise the entire Hangeul alphabet (I can recognise the letters after 30 min yes, but recalling still took a bit of pausing.), but I do have a background in English and Mandarin (I read and write both). Knowing Chinese is a major boon to learning Korean I feel.

You can do it! Recognise the Hangeul alphabet in less time than you think. Because:-

1. It definitely seems easier than memorising Japanese letters. Less letters. More systematically organised.

2. King Sejong said so. My impression of the invention of Hangeul is - King Sejong and his team pretty much invented the whole alphabet so all his people could read and write. Not just the elite as the writing used then was Chinese characters (which is tougher to learn - I KNow so). Now isn't that cool. An alphabet system invented and not evolved over time (coool~). Genius.





No comments:

Post a Comment